Monday, December 24, 2012

Music Box Portrait


Photobucket


As you might know, I’m obsessed with analog photography (thats why a few of my projects at SVA have been focused around cameras). This design is a 3D printed camera housing that plays music and eventually takes a picture when the user turns the crank. Lately, my designs have been more about kinetics and less about the form of the object. I left the gears exposed so that they become part of the visual experience.

There's something about waiting for the pencil to strike the shutter that alleviates the awkward tension of getting your picture taken. No more pouting model faces! The Music Box Portrait is about catching candid, genuine emotion.

This particular iteration, “Version 2.0 ” is comprised of 3D printed ABS, laser cut acrylic, metal bolts, washers, lock nuts, and a music box that I purchased online. I've outfitted the design to work with a disposable camera.


22


31


This video shows the Music Box Portrait in action.





Here are some of the portraits.


MBP_2


MBP_1


MBP_4


MBP_5


MBP_3


No comments:

Post a Comment